Last year, 2016, after a solid 10 years absent from one my great loves – Sci Fi & Comic conventions, I returned to my very first one. I admit; at the time, my life was a whirlwind of emotions and turmoil and being back in the thick of things – the massive crowds of people, loud music, tons of toys and collectibles, and the costumers – oh the costumers! – was actually overwhelming.
At that time, I did not have the costume I was working on ready yet. That was my Predator. This year… I was ready.
My boyfriend (eeeek! I get to say that, it’s so awesome!!!) and I attended C2E2 (his first, my 2nd) and I brought not one… but TWO costumes.
First of course, my Predator…
(And yes, that IS a baby in my arms. I did make that myself, too. Actually I made 2 of them, and I have parts to make a 3rd one, but I just have not done it yet.) Very cute and fun little thing for something different.
And second… something quite different. I started working on this one back in September 2016, after Dragon*Con.
Over 10 years ago, I first saw Hellboy II and I said to myself — Self, you are going to make that amazing costume some day.
So, I finally did. I spent a solid 6 months working on it, and this past weekend at C2E2 was the debut I had been waiting for!
Here’s the clip from the movie, in case you are not familiar with it.
And… I introduce my own Angel of Death:
I also made it into this video at 00:24, with my amazing boyfriend standing nearby. He was an incredible “handler” helping me dress into this thing, which I absolutely could not do myself. I also could not walk, and I could barely see. But I made it to 7 foot tall, and in my home, my wing tips nearly hit the ceiling when I tried it all on.
The wings each have about 350-400 real feathers on them. They are completely finished, front and back, but for safety’s sake I stood backed up against a wall. The wings move, if you look hard enough you can see fishing line attached to them and to my arms. The wings “flap” back and forth and they curl down into the position as pictured above. In the video below, they are flexed out all the way.
The head and chest pieces are made out of foam – just those little 8 x 11 “sheets” of “fun foam” that you can purchase for about $1 at any crafting store. Yep. That’s all.
Overall, I was thrilled with the costume and it’s first debut.
Future fixes/modifications include : more feathers on the left wing and a slight repaint of the chest piece.
Below is the video I made it into at 00:24. Enjoy!