I decided I really wasn’t enjoying the appearance of the blog, so I’ve changed the look. I’m happier with it now.
For our lesson the other day, we did a flat ride and worked on flying lead changes. Happily, after several tries, I was able to get him to swap his leads from right to left twice. Unfortunately, after many many tries until he was so tired we just had to stop, I was unable to get him to swap left-to-right.
I know Chewie’s right side is his harder side to flex anyway, and while he will get very nice right lead walk-canter departs, he just could not swap that lead. Of course my riding, I’m sure had something to do with it. But we did plenty of walk-canter departs while staying round. It was a good ride all in all, and I was very happy to finally be dabbling into lead changes.
It will come with time. Everything else has improved over the last (almost) 6 months. I’m sure this will too.
In other news, I am still having issues with my book/synopsis/query letter.
I am currently working on editing my first draft of my book. It started out at 139,000 words. When I printed out I noticed grammar/spelling errors that needed to be fixed and plenty of sentences that needed to be changes. I did those fixes.
Then, after more and more and more research, I found that a novel of this type for a first time author should be between 80,000-100,000 words. So, that meant I needed to do a lot of editing. It’s coming along. I’ve got it down to 120,000 words. I’m on the last chapter of editing the first draft. I should remove a few hundred more words. I have a plan in mind for the first 4-5 chapters and that will reduce the word count by a good 15,000-20,000 words, so I’ll hit the mark, and still have what I hope to be a sensible story that makes sense.
In the mean time, I’m trying to work on the query letter. I thought I had it to where I wanted it and I was happy. Then I let someone with writing/editing experience read it, and she suggested massive changes. Not just to the letter, but to my writing style.
So now I feel completely insufficient with the whole project. I’ve hit a pitfall, and it is not necessarily with the story I’ve written. It is with how I’ve written it. I like to write, and I would like to tell this story and see it published, but alas, I now realize how lack-luster, dry, and poorly written my story is.
I don’t think I’m being too critical either, I just think I’m being realistic. I need to finish making my edits, and probably later this week I’ll start sending out queries. While I expect 100% form rejection letters (as in unpersonalized rejections), I do hope that maybe by taking a writing class soon, I’ll be able to revise successfully.
We’ll see. Wish me luck!