Well, this is just CRAPPY!

My whole horse search, the entire foundation for this blog, has been going on since around February, when I decided that maybe, after 3 years of being horseless and 2 other years of owning horses that I couldn’t ride and had major problems with, that maybe I have finally rebounded enough to buy a horse. 

 I’ve had major confidence issues, but quasi-consistent lessons from a great instructor at a truly wonderful barn has left me feeling like I actually can ride!  So, if you scan back through the many entries here, you’ll find most of them involve horse ads I’ve read, horses I’ve inquired about, horses I’ve gone to see, horses I’ve tried out and taken on trial, and of course, my constant roller coaster back and forth and back and forth and up and down and up and down about even getting a horse.

The biggest thing for me is that I want to get the RIGHT horse.  I want to get one that I’m not reluctant to purchase, or concerned about in one particular area.  I don’t want to buy the… “well… I kind of like him, but he’s so green…” or the  “yea, he’s pretty nice, but I’m worried he’ll…. (fill in the blank).”  I want to buy the “YES!  THIS ONE IS PERFECT!” Horse.

I FOUND HIM!  I Found the “THIS ONE IS PERFECT HORSE!”  Read back from the last couple days and you’ll read all about him.  I’ve put a deposit on him, but now I’m hanging on for the vet exam.  And that’s when it all falls apart.

This horse is located in a very very rural area. He is two hours from my home.  My husband has the vehicle to pull the horse trailer, and since he did haul the last one home for me that FAILED the prepurchase, he is not so eager to drive two hours to pick this one up and bring him back only to return him if he fails.  Truth be told, I dont want to waste all that time, gas, and effort and money either.  So, my plan was to get him pre-purchased locally.

WELL…. it is slim pickins as far as equine vets that do pre-purchases around there.  There’s only 3 anywhere near close enough.  One won’t see the horse because she’s the regular vet and it is a conflict of interest for her to do the PPE on her own patient.  I can understand that.

Another won’t go out to the town, because it’s about an hour from where they are at.  The one in the middle, the only other guy within an hour that does equine PPE’s won’t go to the property because the owner has a very large vet bill that has been left unpaid for over a year and he will not service any of her animals.  So even though I’m the one paying for the exam and hopefully buying the horse, he will not travel to her property.  He’s also insanely expensive for a basic PPE. 

So now I’m stuck… I have a deposit on a horse I really like and it’s not my problem the owner doesn’t pay her vet bills, but I can’t get a pre purchase because of it!  Honestly it is completely irrevelant to me if she doesn’t pay her bills. I  don’t care if she owes the vets a million bucks, I’m the one paying for the exam and I’m the one buying the horse.  My only interest is making sure the horse gets a good vet evaluation before I buy him so I can feel more confident that I’m not buying something that is lame or may break down if I try to canter him in a circle or something…

I am really not sure what to do. I  am not very comfortable buying him without a prepurchase and it is not going to be possible to go get him, bring him here and then bring him back if he fails. 

I’ve talked to my trainer and she’s going to talk to her trainer (the barn owner) and see if he’s ever run in to something like this before and what he might suggest.  In the mean time, I’ve emailed the owner with the following options….

to either work something out with the vets that can come out so that I can get this pre purchase done or let me talk to the horse’s current vet about his past records…. to drastrically drop the price of the horse and I’ll consider buying him without the exam (although honestly, I might not)…… to haul the horse to me and come pick him up if he fails the exam……. or to send me my deposit back and consider this a lost cause.

I don’t see any other options. I really don’t.  I really want the horse looked over by a vet before I commit nearly $2,000 into buying him, an additional couple hundred into hauling him home and boarding him, and then invest all my time and training and money into his continued care and lessons and everything else…

I really like the horse and I really hate to pass on him, but I think I’ve hit a dead end.  I’m waiting to hear back from the owner of the horse and my trainers to see if some other outcourse crops up, but so far, this is all I can think of.

Any suggestions??

Advertisements

About kshai1715

I am a lifelong equestrian, photography enthusiast, sci-fi lover, and sci-fi convention & costuming geek that also loves movies and video games. I am a hard working 30 something woman that survived cancer and am looking forward to a long, healthy, self-empowered life. Welcome to my blog and I hope you enjoy reading about my horses (and the rest of my life) as much as I like writing about them.
This entry was posted in horse, Quarter Horse and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s